Prepackaged gingerbread (or gingercake) from the supermarket has a healthy image. Many people, especially Dutch people, eat gingerbread as a “healthy” snack. The Dutch people know this gingerbread as ‘ontbijtkoek’. What many people (unfortunately) do not know is that Gingerbread is full of sugars! 100 grams of gingerbread contains almost 40 grams of sugar. So, not really healthy…
Because gingerbread is still so delicious and you often need a tasty snack, we have searched for a healthy recipe for gingerbread. This recipe is so delicious, especially with the raisins in it. It even seems as if the gingerbread is getting even more delicious each day… A good tip is to cut the gingerbread into slices and freeze those slices. Every day a slice of healthy gingercake!
400 grams spelled flour
7 tablespoons honey
350 milliliter (soy) milk
4 tsp mixed cake and gingerbread spices
2 teaspoons baking powder
55 grams of raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
2. Soak the dates 5 minutes in boiling water. Take them out and squeeze the water out the dates.
3. Add all the ingredients (except the raisins) in a food processor and mix until it’s a smooth batter.
4. Stir with a spoon the raisins into the batter.
5. Grease a cake tin and pour the batter into the cake tin.
6. Bake the cake for approximately 55 minutes in the oven. The gingercake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove the gingercake from the oven and cut into slices.
Tip: freeze the slices, so you can have a healthy snack whenever you like!
Enjoy your gingercake!
Looking for other healthy snacks? If you like carrotcake, try this healthy version. Are you a bananabread lover? Than you should definitely try this bananabread with pumpkin seeds, walnuts and coconut!